Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Beauty from Within


"The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure she carries or the way she combs her hair.  The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.  True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul.  It’s the caring she lovingly gives, the passion she shows… and the beauty of a woman only grows with passing years."  - Audrey Hepburn

I began my blog ‘Fashion Therapy’ to encourage others to discover their fashion sense from within.  I believe the more we develop ourselves internally, the more beautiful a person we become externally.  This concept of inner beauty struck me at an early age.  I would see women who weren’t particularly physically attractive, but who had a fabulous boyfriend or husband and were very happy.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I’d say, but I always knew it was deeper than that.

Obviously, when meeting someone for the first time we are quick to judge them by their outer appearance.  So what was it that made these certain women different from the ones who were far more physically attractive?

For as long as I can remember I loved fashion magazines (and still do). Like many teenage girls, I would cut out my favorite pages and paste collages on my bathroom mirror and bedroom walls.  Every day I would dream of becoming one of those girls.  I wasn’t the most beautiful girl growing up but I wasn’t unattractive either. I managed to do some modeling in Japan for a time, and that was a big deal.  I thought my dreams had REALLY come true.  

The most difficult challenge for me early-on was having an extraordinarily beautiful mother.  It was such a blessing in my life, though I didn’t realize to what extent until recent years.  

Like many things in our lives we don’t appreciate them until we grow older and mature.  As my mother received so much attention from her beauty, it encouraged me to be different and find where my real beauty lay.  I was always very proud of her, but I also recognized there were probably years I was jealous of her looks and all the adoration she attracted.  “Who was I if not as pretty as my mother” was something I struggled with for a great deal of my life.  “Who was I if not as pretty as all those girls in the fashion magazines?” was another.  I think many young women toil with this question at some point in their lives, especially being raised in a society that puts so much attention on our outer appearance. 

It took me years to realize there was something much deeper that make us beautiful and make us happy.  Knowing who you are and what you want is not as easy as it sounds.  We have so many choices available right at our finger tips.  Who is unique if everyone looks the same?  

Your ‘inner beauty’ is what makes you an individual.  This is what no one can “copy” - because no one has experienced your personal journey.  Knowing this journey and outwardly exhibiting it is what makes us beautiful, stylish and confident.


          “People respond well to those who are sure of what they want.”
                                                                                                                
                                                                                                                 – Anna Wintour
                   
As I raise my daughter I want so much for her to be smart, confident and secure.  I encourage her every day to look people in the eye when she is talking to them and telling them her name.  To be proud of who she is and considerate of the other individual she is interacting with. 

To develop self-respect from an early age is so important and contributes so much to our later years.  Our children have their own life’s journey; all we can do is guide them the best way we know how.  We will all make mistakes and hopefully our children will forgive us - and forgiveness is my favorite ingredient for beauty.

This one is for you Mom - I love you; for all your flaws are my greatest gifts - and all your strengths are the ones I aspire too.
xo
Wendy





No comments:

Post a Comment